What is a Room and Board home?

A room and board home provides a private or shared room, meals and snacks, medication management, laundry service, but no hands-on care to older adults or adults with disabilities.

The maximum capacity of the home is not limited to five people, but is determined by the physical characteristics of the home and fire safety requirements.

Medicaid does not pay for room and board homes.

Minimum Qualifications

Ability to pass an English competency test, ability to demonstrate financial stability (credit check and liquid reserves required); and, ability to pass a criminal record background check.

Application Process

The steps listed below must be completed in the order in which they appear.

Step 1: Review Adult Care Home Information

Step 2: Take English Test

  • Take the English Competency Test at Mt. Hood Community College: $10 fee
  • Submit background check authorization form : $15

Step 3: Take Record Keeping Class 

Step 4: Apply for Room & Board License

  • Complete New Room & Board Operator License Application
  • Application must include a copy of a current credit report with credit score from a major consumer credit reporting agency
  • Submit application with the required fees