Multnomah County Seeks Property Tax Appeals Board Members
The Multnomah County Board of Commissioners is seeking residents interested in contributing to the important process of reviewing property assessments by serving as volunteer board members on the Multnomah County Board of Property Tax Appeals (BoPTA). The three-member board is responsible for hearing taxpayer appeals for reduction of the value of their real and personal property.
The Multnomah County Board of Commissioners seeks candidates who:
- Are Multnomah County residents.
- Are not Multnomah County employees, nor members of a governing body of the county, nor of any taxing district within the county.
- Have a working knowledge of the local real estate market, both residential and commercial.
- Are willing to participate in public hearings, can quickly review the documentation and evidence presented, and can make reasonable decisions that will determine the outcome of the appeals.
- Have mediation skills, with experience in real estate valuation and appraisal, financing or related areas.
- Are familiar with Oregon property tax laws.
All members of the Board of Property Tax Appeals are appointed by the Multnomah County Board of Commissioners. Multiple boards may be selected.
BoPTA volunteer members receive a daily per diem for service. Appeals are heard from February through April. The board meets approximately 20-30 hours per week; however, members may be scheduled on a rotating basis, and weekly work schedules may vary throughout the session.
If interested, candidates may request an application from the BoPTA clerk by emailing email@example.com or calling 503-988-7910.
The application and resume are due no later than 5 p.m. on September 26, 2022. Application materials can also be mailed to:
Board of Property Tax Appeals Clerk
PO Box 5007
Portland, OR 97208
The appointment process will be completed by October 15, 2022.
For help with BoPTA procedural questions, please call the clerk at (503) 988-7910.
Additional information regarding the property tax appeals process is available here: