Steps to enroll in Benefit plans:

  1. Choose your plans.

  2. Enroll in all plans using Workday as part of your Hire - Onboarding process.

    • You will see a Benefit Change event in your Workday inbox when ready.

Step 1: Choose your plans



Step 2: Enroll in medical/dental, optional plans, and choose your life insurance beneficiary. 

Medical and Dental Coverage

  1. Enroll using Workday - this will be part of your Hire - Onboarding process.

    • Required within 31 days of hire or you will be enrolled in a defaulted plan.

  2. Enrolling a spouse/domestic partner?

  3. Opting out of County medical insurance?

  • Benefits start on the first of the month on or following Workday enrollment and submission of all required affidavits.

  • Detailed information on medical/dental coverage (plan booklets, summaries of benefit coverages, and opt out details).

Life Insurance

Health Reimbursement Arrangement - Voluntary Employees' Beneficiary Association (EO Staff are ineligible for VEBA)

  • HRA VEBA is an account you use to pay for or get reimbursed for qualifying out-of-pocket medical care costs for you, spouse, and qualified dependents.
  • The County contributes to this fund at an amount equal to 1% of your salary. 
  • Eligibility and enrollment are automatic (enrollment forms are optional to personalize investment options).
  • Visit for more information.
  • Detailed information on HRA VEBA.

Short Term Disability Insurance 

  • The County provides STD insurance at no cost to you.  This provides partial salary replacement due to an injury/illness after a 30 day period.
  • You are automatically enrolled in this plan.
  • Detailed information on STD insurance.

Long Term Disability Insurance 

  • The County provides LTD insurance at no cost to you. This provides partial salary replacement due to an injury/illness after a 90 day period.
  • You are automatically enrolled in this plan
  • Detailed information on LTD insurance.

TriMet Pass 

  • The County provides a TriMet Hop Fastpass to travel free of charge on all TriMet buses, MAX, Streetcar, Wes, and C-Tran non-express routes.
  • Fill out the TriMet agreement form and you will receive your TriMet Hop Fastpass in the mail.

Employee Assistance Program

  • The Employee Assistance Program (EAP) helps you privately solve problems that may interfere with your work, family, and life in general. EAP services are FREE to you, your dependents, and all household members, even those not related to you. EAP services are always confidential and provided by experts. 

  • You are automatically enrolled in this plan.

  • Find more details about the Employee Assistance Program.

Optional/Supplemental benefit plans:

Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs): MERP, DCAP, and TRPs

An FSA reduces your tax burden and increases your purchasing power for eligible expenses. Multnomah County offers four types of Flexible Spending Accounts:

  • MERP (Medical Expense Reimbursement Program)
    • Used for covered medical, dental, and vision expenses.
  • DCAP (Dependent Care Assistance Program)
    • Used for dependent care expenses such as childcare, preschool, afterschool programs, or eldercare.
  • TRPs (Transportation Reimbursement Plan)
    • Used for eligible parking and transit commuting expenses.
  • Enroll using Workday as part of your Benefit Change - New Hire event.
  • Detailed information on Flexible Spending Accounts.

Multnomah Building Garage and Zone Parking

  • The County offers zone parking permits through payroll deduction for Portland street parking for employees who work in Zones M & N.
  • Employee-rate parking, and free secure bike parking, may also be available at the County garage located across from the Multnomah Building (501 SE Hawthorne). 
  • You may enroll or un-enroll at any time, up to once per month. Parking is billed by the full month only.
  • Note: Employee parking at the Multnomah Building Garage is not reimbursable from TRP accounts
  • Detailed information on Garage and Zone Parking

Supplemental Life Insurance

  • You can enroll in supplemental life insurance above your Basic life insurance to a maximum of $500,000 for yourself and $500,000 for your spouse/domestic partner.
  • You are guaranteed up to $200,000 of coverage and up to $50,000 spouse/domestic partner coverage if submitted within 31 days of hire.
    • Enroll using Workday as part of your Benefit Change - New Hire event.
  • Detailed information on Supplemental Insurance.

Long Term Care Insurance

  • LTC Insurance provides coverage if you need assistance while in a long term care facility, including home care.
  • You can apply for LTC at any time, but are guaranteed up to $6,000 and up to 6 years if submitted within 31 days of hire.
  • Email for an application.
  • Please visit Unum's LTC site for more details.