Utility relocation details:
- Work will be conducted between 8 p.m. and 6 a.m. Monday through Thursday from February 13 through March, to reduce impacts on traffic
- From February 13 – March 1 (tentative), night detours and lane closures will be needed at:
- SW 1st Ave. between SW Main St. and SW Madison St.
- SW Main St. across the intersection with SW 1st Ave.
- Access to the north sidewalk of the Hawthorne Bridge will be available from the Naito Parkway ramp or stairs from Waterfront Park only. The sidewalk on SW Main St. will be closed between Naito Parkway and SW First Ave. The south bridge sidewalk will be open.
- From March 1 - 17 (tentative) between 10 p.m. and 6 a.m. the eastbound approach to the Hawthorne Bridge from SW Madison St. will be closed to all modes of traffic between SW Naito Parkway and SW 1st Ave. Eastbound traffic can access the bridge from northbound SW Naito Parkway at night.
Noise generating activities include saw-cutting, excavating and sound from vacuum trucks. A telephone line (503-988-8888) is set up for questions and concerns about construction noise.
Work schedules are subject to change, due to weather and other factors.
On February 20, a staircase from the west sidewalk of SW Naito Parkway to the south sidewalk of the Hawthorne Bridge is scheduled to be closed for demolition. A new staircase will be built as part of the project, opening in 2019. Pedestrians can still access the south bridge sidewalk from SW Madison St. and from the sidewalk on the east side of SW Naito Parkway.
The new Central Courthouse is estimated to cost $300 million and open in 2020. A construction open house is scheduled on Thursday, February 23 from 4 – 6 p.m. in the Jury Assembly Room of the County Courthouse at 1021 SW 4th Ave. For project information, visit Central Courthouse Project.