Pursuant to ORS 419B.550 to 419B.558

Application Information

  • Persons interested in applying for emancipation can obtain information by telephoning the Juvenile Court, 503-988-3460, and asking to speak to Data Services about emancipation.
  • An applicant must be at least 16 years of age and domiciled in this county.
  • An applicant must pay a $281 filing fee at the time the completed application is submitted for consideration. You must pay the filing fee whether or not the Judge grants a Decree of Emancipation.
  • An applicant fills out an application form which is obtained from the Intake Department at the Juvenile Court.
  • A preliminary hearing shall be held within 10 days of the filing of the application. A final hearing shall be held within 60 days of the filing of the application. The final hearing may be waived and usually is waived unless further preparation is needed.
  • Download emancipation application here:   Emancipation Form (Updated) (643.52 KB)

Points the Judge will consider in deciding whether a child shall be emancipated

  • Whether the parent of the minor consents to proposed emancipation;
  • Whether the minor has been living away from the family home and is substantially able to be self-maintained and self-supported without parental guidance and supervision;
  • Whether the minor can demonstrate to the satisfaction of the Court that the minor is sufficiently mature and knowledgeable to manage the minor's affairs without parental assistance.
  • The Judge finds that emancipation serves the best interest of the minor.

Minor's status when emancipation has been granted

  • Minor shall be subject to jurisdiction of Adult Court for all criminal offenses;
  • Minor has adult status with regard to curfew laws;
  • Minor is recognized as an adult for purposes of contracting and conveying, establishing a residence, suing, and being sued.
  • Parents do not have the right to control nor the duty to support the emancipated child.

A decree of emancipation shall not effect any age qualification for purchasing or consuming alcoholic beverages, the requirements for obtaining a marriage license, nor the minor's status under ORS 109.510, which refers to age of majority;

Applicants for emancipation should note that there is no provision in the law to become "unemancipated" once emancipation has been granted.

Philosophy on Emancipation

  • The Department's philosophy is that emancipation should be granted to individuals who have demonstrated an ability to manage their affairs in a mature and responsible manner.
  • Emancipation is a privilege that confirms to the community that this youngster is more responsible and more prepared for living on their own than most of their age mates.
  • The Court, in effect, is guaranteeing to merchants, landlords, schools, and others in the community that this individual is able to conduct their affairs as an adult, is financially able to pay their way, budget their money, and pursue a responsible lifestyle.

Guidelines on Emancipation

  • The Multnomah County Juvenile Court has established guidelines to assist youngsters in knowing when they are adequately prepared to apply for emancipation. The guidelines are:
  • Have a high school diploma, GED, or demonstrate good attendance, performance, and conduct in school such that parental assistance is not needed;
  • Have medical insurance arranged;
  • Have at least $1,200 in savings to cover emergencies and move-in costs;
  • Have demonstrated steady income or employment for six months sufficient to support oneself (usually $700 per month minimum).