Before beginning your housing search, it is helpful to make sure you have all the documentation you will need
to apply for housing. You will likely need the following documents:

  • valid photo ID
    • Get an Oregon ID (created by NW Pilot Project)
    • Free ID for People Experiencing Homeless and receiving case management services from Mult. County Intellectual & Developmental Disabilities
      • IDD case manager referral required: case mgr. can request a free ID voucher by emailing for a person in our services experiencing homelessness.

Social Security card

You will also need information about your prior housing, including the addresses of the places you lived for the last three years; the dates you lived there; and your managers’ names, addresses, and phone numbers.

Before you submit your application, you can review the screening criteria for each building to make sure you are eligible. The screening criteria explain the specific requirements for living at each property, and include
guidelines for approval or denial of your application based on landlord references, eviction history, credit history, and criminal history.

Once you locate an available apartment, you will typically need to pay an application fee at the time you submit your application. The application fee is generally between $30 and $50 for each applicant. If your
application is denied, you have the right to find out why and to request reconsideration if the reason is based on incorrect information or circumstances that have changed.

Strategies for Tenants with Negative Criminal, Credit or Rental History

Community Visions Housing Access Program

Community Vision’s Housing Access Program provides customized, one-on-one assistance and support for individuals and families looking to rent their own home. They meet with you, learn about your situation, work with you to identify what you might need before you’re ready to move into your own rental home, prepare you to become a great tenant, and help you apply to rental units that meet your specific needs.

  • Income of at least $1,200/month. If the household has a subsidized housing voucher, we accept that in lieu of the income requirement. 
    • This amount can include monetary support from family, friends, and/or guardians
  • You must have a disability that qualifies you for Developmental Disabilities Services or Aging, Disability, and Veteran Services
  • Live in and are searching for housing in the Tri-County area (Multnomah, Clackamas, and Washington counties)

Contact: Tova Hershman, Affordable Housing Associate, (503) 292-4964 x 126;

Transitional Housing

New Narrative (previously Luke Dorf) - Our transitional housing sites aim to provide a safe and comfortable community as our participants figure out the next steps on their housing journey. These locations include onsite staffing with a focus on developing the resources, skills, knowledge, and planning needed to achieve the desired independent housing outcomes. Thier program also offers permanent supportive housing and independent housing. Washington and Multnomah Counties manage screening for housing placement. Please call us at (503) 726-3742 and we will work with you to determine who to contact.

  • Bridgeview Transitional Housing - 503-597-3930. 
    • Eligibility Criteria:
      • Diagnosis of severe mental illness with primary thought or mood disorder, and symptoms are not primarily due to substance use;
      • Currently houseless or at imminent risk of houselessness;
      • OHP or MTF eligible;
      • Ability to independently complete Activities of Daily Living.

Community Development Corporations 

Community development corporations (CDCs) are 501(c)(3) non-profit organizations that are created to support and revitalize communities, especially those that are impoverished or struggling. CDCs often deal with the development of affordable housing. They can also be involved in a wide range of community services that meet local needs such as education, job training, healthcare, commercial development, and other social programs. Below is a list of CDC's providing affordable housing in Multnomah County. 

Community Development Corporations serving Multnomah County (36.5 KB)


This is a new website that allows you to search and apply for vacancies for any participating buildings. If you register, you can complete one application and pay one application fee for all participating properties, and OneApp Oregon will show you vacancies that you qualify to rent. You can also use the search feature of the website to locate vacancies without registering. To start, go to The rents typically start at $700/month on this website. More about how it works.  

One App Guarantee Program: OneApp Guarantee is a co-signer for applicants that experience barriers when looking for housing.

City of Portland Resources for Landlords and Tenants

Portland Housing Bureau - affordable housing developments that are currently being built or planned for completion within the next few years.

Shared Housing

Metro Home Share 

Housing Search Tools through Other Community Agencies 

NW Pilot Project - NWPP helps connect low-income and very low-income seniors (55 and over) in Multnomah County who are capable of independent living with rental housing that is safe, permanent and affordable to them.

NWPP'S Online Housing Assessment

The search for affordable housing is confusing, and it can be difficult to know where to begin. Northwest Pilot Project designed an online housing assessment to give you a starting place for your housing search. The assessment takes approximately 15 minutes to complete.

At the end of the assessment, you can view your personalized Housing Report. The Housing Report will include housing lists and resources to help with your housing search. It will show up as a separate document in a new computer window, and will need to be saved on your computer or printed. You will also have the opportunity to register for the online assessment using your email address, which allows you to save your Housing Report online.


Other Housing Search Tools provided by NW Pilot Project

Resources for Pregnant Women and Families with Children

  • My Father's House - 503-492-3046; My Father’s House provides shelter for up to 28 families in individual, self-contained units that include kitchenettes and private baths.  We provide space for classes and childcare, as well as worship in an in-house chapel. Building strong family foundations is encouraged through individual, couple and family counseling and life issues classes which include: renter education training, parenting skills, substance abuse, anger management, sexual addiction, developing a balanced sense of self, and domestic violence. Since many of our residents are single mothers we address their unique needs as necessary.
  • Shepherds Door - 12 month residential program consisting of addiction recover, life skills training, and spiritual renewal. Hot meals 3 times a day. Access to a workout facility, garden, lounge room, computer lab, clothes boutique, job and independent living training. The option to stay for another year, work for the Mission, and gain valuable experience. 
  • Project Nurture - Project Nurture provides prenatal care, inpatient maternity care, and postpartum care for women who struggle with addictions as well as pediatric care for their infants. Women enrolled in Project Nurture receive outpatient addiction treatment by certified alcohol and drug counselors (CADCs) and receive Medications for Opioid Use Disorder (MOUD), including methadone or buprenorphine, alongside their pregnancy care. This program provides comprehensive evidence-based care both for both the pregnancy and addiction, improving maternal and infant outcomes. 
  • Catholic Charities - Our Homeless Services team removes barriers to finding permanent housing and wraps clients in a suite of supportive services as they work to re-establish their stability and independence. We offer case management, employment assistance, housing, drop-in services, community outreach, and more. Through our Kenton Women’s Village, Housing Transitions Program, and Street Outreach team, we give those experiencing houselessness the comprehensive support and resources they need to move forward and thrive. Family Services - provide an array of counseling and parental supportive services, case management, and support for those who have experienced trauma. Adoption services.
  • Lifeline Connections - has a Pregnant and Parenting Women’s program with up to a six month stay that accepts patients on OHP.  Email

Return to IDD Housing Resource Guide Homepage