DONN M. GARDNER
Occupation: Drywall Contractor
Occupational Background: 36 years construction trades
Educational Background: Graduated David Douglas High School...1962; 1 year Portland State College Completed 13th Grade; Night School Mt. Hood Community College
Prior Governmental Experience: Precinct Committeeperson; David Douglas School District Board member 1993-Present
WHO IS DONN GARDNER?
A resident of David Douglas School District for over forty years. He has been married to his wife Jacque for 36 years. They have three children and four grandchildren. Two of their grandchildren attend school in the district. He has served on the board since 1993. He has served as board chair and board vice-chair.
WHERE DONN STANDS:
- He believes all children need a quality education to be prepared to be productive and self-reliant citizens.
- He supports expanding use of technology, all-day kindergarten, and continued efforts to provide quality programs in the arts, music, and athletics.
- He believes in a challenging academic curriculum and that all students should be expected to meet high academic standards.
- He was an early advocate for raising David Douglas High School’s graduation requirements, now some of the highest graduation standards in the state. He also supported new programs necessary to ensure that every student received the opportunity to fulfill those requirements.
- He believes in the prudent management of the taxpayer’s money. He opposes both a sales tax and a local option tax for additional operating revenue.
A BRIEF STATEMENT:
“The state already has the money to fund education adequately. It’s a matter of making education a priority. Only 1/3 of district residents have children in district schools yet all residents pay for school operation. The challenge for a board member is to balance the responsibility to provide children a quality education with the responsibility to all tax payers to use tax dollars wisely”.
SUPPORT DONN GARDNER FOR POSITION #2:
He is a leader. He is experienced. He is dedicated and concerned for all children and all residents of the district.
(This information furnished by Donn M. Gardner)