City of Portland Commissioner, Position 4
OCCUPATION: Policy analyst, Oregon Health Insurance Exchange
OCCUPATIONAL BACKGROUND: Attorney
EDUCATIONAL BACKGROUND: University of Oregon, B.A.; Harvard Law School, J.D.
PRIOR GOVERNMENTAL EXPERIENCE: Environmental Attorney, United States Department of Justice
Progressive Principles. Effective Leadership.
One of a Kind.
Steve Novick has been making a difference on issues that matter for Portlanders for decades. Steve:
- Recovered $129 million for taxpayers in the Love Canal Superfund case.
- Successfully fought Bill Sizemore’s attacks on schools, services for seniors, and workers’ rights.
- Helped force the Oregon Lottery to spend less money subsidizing taverns and more on education and real economic development.
At City Hall, Steve will look for real, smart solutions to our biggest problems.
- Steve’s plan to reduce the burden of health care costs on businesses, families and governments will give Portland a competitive, job-creating edge without sacrificing health care quality.
- Portland police spend too much of their time on what are really mental health crises and taxpayers spend too much money on prisons. Steve has talked with Governor Kitzhaber and the County about local governments making a deal with the State: if we send fewer people to state prisons, they send back the savings to use for prevention, including mental health.
- East Portland has been neglected too long. Steve thinks that frequent bus service on 122d should be a higher priority than a streetcar to Lake Oswego.
- The City needs to be a stronger partner with our schools. The City should recognize that real “urban renewal” begins in Portland’s public school classrooms, and lend a helping hand.
Governor John Kitzhaber
Portland City Commissioners Nick Fish, Randy Leonard & Dan Saltzman
Multnomah County Chair Jeff Cogen
Multnomah County Commissioner Loretta Smith
Portland Association of Teachers
Oregon League of Conservation Voters
Portland Firefighters’ Association
Joint Council of Teamsters No. 37
AFSCME Local 189
Communication Workers of America Local 7901
United Food and Commercial Workers Union Local 555
Basic Rights Oregon PAC (Green Light)
Learn more at novickforportland.org
(This information furnished by Novick for Portland)
The above information has not been verified for accuracy by Multnomah County.