Mitigation information by hazard type for home and business
Online interactive maps for all hazards
- State of Oregon Hazard Viewer - The HazVu map provides a way to view many different geologic hazards in the state of Oregon. You can enter the address for your home, school, business, or public buildings on your area to see what hazards might affect you.
- Oregon Hazards Explorer - an interactive map to explore various hazards throughout the State of Oregon
- Oregon Special Flood Hazard Area Maps
- Earthquake Home Hazard Hunt - this is a guide provided by FEMA that provides visuals and descriptions so that homeowners can identify and fix at-risk areas of their homes to reduce future earthquake damage and disruption. You can download the poster directly from FEMA. Multnomah County also provides this poster at many of our outreach and engagement events.
- Quakesmart Toolkit for Businesses - Actionable and scalable guidance and tools to the private sector, its owners, managers, and employees about the importance of earthquake mitigation and the simple things they can do to reduce the potential of earthquake damages, injuries, and financial losses.
- Residential Seismic Strengthening (801.87 KB)
- Mobile Homes in Earthquakes (1.24 MB)
- Additional resources provided by the Earthquake Engineering Research Institute
- Anchor Tall Bookcases and File Cabinets (37.12 KB)
- Bold Sill Plates to the Foundation (65.67 KB)
- Mount Framed Pictures and Mirrors Securely (43.98 KB)
- Install Latches on Drawers and Cabinet Doors (42.66 KB)
- Brace Cripple Walls (59.5 KB)
- Earthquake Risks Around the US - How to Protect Your Home (2.58 MB)
- National Flood Insurance Program - Since standard homeowners insurance doesn't cover flooding, it's important to have protection from the floods associated with hurricanes, tropical storms, heavy rains and other conditions that impact the U.S.
- Protecting Your Home and Property from Flood Damage - Ready.gov guide for mitigation ideas to reduce flood loss
- Residential Flood Mitigation Video -This Just In Time Training video was produced by the Federal Alliance for Safe Homes (FLASH).
- Protecting Your Property From Flooding (42.5 KB)
- FireWise Communities
- FireWise Principles - Concerned about brush, grass or forest fires where you live? Find tips and tools to make your home and neighborhood safe from wildland fire.
- Have a FireWise Home (826.47 KB)
- Creating Wildfire-Defensible Zones (738.48 KB)
- FEMA Landslides Fact Sheet
- Fire Resistant Plant Apps for your Apple or Android phones:
- Apple iTunes Store Link
- Google Play Store Link
- OR download the PDF Fire Resistant Plans in the NW (3.23 MB)
- Guide to Creating a Fire Adapted Home (692.66 KB)
- Ready, Set, Go! Wildfire Action Guide (2.56 MB)
- FEMA Landslide Fact Sheet
- Homeowner's Guide to Landslides - FEMA Region 10 and Portland State University
- Ashfall Preparedness Guidelines (558.12 KB)
- How to Recognize and Prevent Tree Hazards (3.15 MB)
- Freezing and Bursting Pipes (638.75 KB)