Looking for your SNAP application status or information about your Oregon Trail (EBT) card? Visit the Oregon Department of Human Resources website

SNAP on a smartphoneCould you use help paying for food each month?

Students 18-49 who attend higher education at least half time may be eligible for the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP, formerly food stamps).

Income Guidelines

Students whose household income is below the income guidelines may be eligible to receive SNAP benefits:

(2023 Oregon Household Income Guidelines - 200% Federal Poverty Level)

Persons in family Monthly
1 $2,510
2 $3,407
3 $4,304
4 $5,200
5 $6,097
6 $6,994
Monthly amounts go up $897 for each additional person.


Students must also meet at least one of the following criteria:

  • Accepted federally funded work-study and anticipate working
  • Paid employee working at least 20 hours a week
  • Self-employed at least 20 hours each week and have countable monthly income of at least $1,247 after business costs
  • Responsible for the care of a child under the age of 6
  • Receiving TANF (Temporary Assistance for Needy Families) cash assistance
  • In a Workforce Investment Act (WIA) training program
  • Receiving Unemployment Compensation
  • Participating in at least one of the Employment Department training programs
  • Unable to work due to physical or physiological difficulties
  • Already declared a major intended to complete in 4 years and have plans for a career/employment 

There are factors that affect the chances of eligibility:

  • Students cannot receive school meal plans that cover more than 51% of the meals
  • Students on a break from school must still meet student criteria
  • Students under the age of 22 who are living at home must apply with their family
  • Financial aid received through the Veterans Administration or private scholarships count as income.

Apply for SNAP

You have options.

  • Set up an appointment for any day of the week by contacting Multnomah County SNAP Enrollment Specialist Cynthia 503.320.6658
  • Complete and submit a SNAP application online.
  • Visit a Self-Sufficiency DHS office and fill out an online or paper application.