a three-compartment sink

All food carts must:

  • Be a vehicle that does not require a special permit from the Oregon Department of Transportation to be moved.
  • Be on wheels (except boats) and have the ability to move at all times.
  • Not have a permanent connection to any utility, including water, sewer or electricity.
  • Have built-in equipment, including tanks for both fresh and grey water.

Oregon Mobile Food Unit Operation Guide (PDF)
Oregon Mobile Food Units Rules (PDF)

Food Worker Cards

Food handler cards are required for all persons working in a food cart or commissary. You can take the test online»

Agency Contacts

Before you receive your food cart license from us, there may be other agencies that you need to get approval from. These include, but are not limited to:

  • Planning (zoning)
  • Building codes (structural, electrical, plumbing, prefabricated structures)
  • Fire marshall
  • City or county authorities


  • Bureau of Development Services
    Private property vending | 503-823-7300
    Electrical, mechanical, plumbing, sewer, sign permits | 503-823-7363
  • Bureau of Environmental Services
    Fats, oils, and grease, sewer overflow and backup | 503-823-7093
    Grease interceptor | 503-823-7093
  • Bureau of Planning & Sustainability
    Recycling and compost | 503-823-7700
  • Bureau of Transportation
    Sidewalk vending | 503-823-7002, option 5
  • Fire Marshall
    Propane permit | 503-823-3700 or 503-823-3712
  • Revenue Bureau | 503-823-5157
  • Water Bureau | 503-823-7770


Food cart license requirements | 503-618-2780

Multnomah County

Business personal property tax requirements for owners of food carts


Contact Us

Multnomah County Environmental Health
919 NE 19th Ave, Suite 170N *(temporary address through summer)
Portland, Oregon (Map)
503-988-5844 fax


Hours: Monday to Friday, 8am - 4:30pm