You may apply for a wood burning exemption if:
- Wood/pellet burning is the ONLY way to heat the main living space. But, if your home or business has a permanently installed and connected furnace or heating system, wood is not considered a sole source of heat.
- There is an economic need. If your total household income is 60% or less than the Oregon median income.
- Emergency conditions are present. If there is a power outage, service interruption, or failure of your main heating system (120 days only).
- Other temporary exemptions may be allowed, upon Director's authorization and must be applied for before operating a device.
If any of these apply, please submit a wood smoke exemption application:
- Complete an online application
- or, download, complete, print and mail to the address listed on the Exemption Application 2022.23.02 (830.04 KB)
Exemptions expire September 30th. Exemptions must be renewed every year. There is no cost to apply..