Our benefits help you manage now -- and plan ahead.
We are working to create a culture of health at the county. We offer broad coverage for dependents, including adults, children and domestic partners, and plans that offer flexibility in choosing a doctor, dentist, or hospital. Most of our health plans include alternative care, complimentary care, and vision.
Family members, including eligible spouses, domestic partners and children, are covered under most of our benefits programs. Benefits vary depending on position and full-time or part-time status.
Learn more about:
We offer employees and their loved ones the resources they need to stay healthy.
Health insurance (medical, vision, Rx and dental):
- You can select from several plan options to offer flexibility in choosing your doctor, dentist or hospital.
- Most plans include alternative care, complementary care, vision and hearing.
- Continued health insurance is available for eligible employees upon retirement.
- Vacation: New employees typically receive 12 vacation days per year. The number of days can vary based on the position you hold and increases with years of service.
- Holidays: You’ll be paid for a generous number of holidays each year. (Specific holidays vary by position.)
- Sick leave: Full-time employees receive 12 days of sick leave per year; this amount is pro-rated for part-time employees. Sick leave accruals are unlimited (no maximum accrual).
- Paid parental leave: Eligible employees receive six weeks of paid parental leave.
- Other leaves: We offer judicial leave, military leave and bereavement leave to help you in times of service and in times of need.
Employees have access to a range of benefits to manage expenses, prepare for retirement and get more out of life.
- Eligible employees qualify for a defined benefit pension after five years of vesting.
- We pay the employee's share of the retirement contribution (6% of subject wages)
- Learn more on the PERS website
- Employees may participate in a 457(b) deferred compensation plan, similar to a 401(k), through convenient payroll deductions.
- Both pre-tax and post-tax (Roth) plan options are available.
- We provide life insurance at no cost to employees.
- Employee may purchase additional insurance at discounted group rates.
Disability and long-term care insurance:
- Employees are automatically enrolled in a county-paid long-term disability program.
- We offer short-term disability coverage.
- Employees in many positions can purchase long-term care insurance at discounted group rates.
Flexible Spending Accounts:
Employees have the option to set aside pre-tax money to cover eligible health and dependent child care expenses.
We value our employees and their families and offer a variety of supports to help you achieve a healthy work-life balance.
Flexible work schedules:
Depending on your assignment, we offer a variety of flexible work schedules to meet employee needs.
Bus pass program:
All regular employees have access to free public transportation throughout the Portland metropolitan area, including TriMet, MAX, Portland Streetcar and C-TRAN local routes.
We operate a comprehensive wellness program to support, connect and encourage employees who are actively developing healthful life habits. Some highlights include:
- Health club discounts and onsite fitness centers
- The option to receive individualized health coaching and assessment tools through health providers
- A professional-grade lactation equipment loan program to assist nursing mothers returning to work
- Encouragement and resources to help you make and maintain healthful lifestyle choices
- Employee-led wellness campaigns and challenges to continuously improve our culture of healthful behaviors
This is a general description of the benefits offered through employment with Multnomah County, and every effort has been made to ensure its accuracy. In the event of any incorrect information, applicable laws, rules, collective bargaining agreements or official plan documents will prevail.