If you are in need of services, and would like to be added to the coordinated access list/connected to a caseworker, call 211 or go to 211info.org

What is Coordinated Access?

Coordinated access is the way that organizations, service providers, County and city agencies coordinate the care and support for individuals and households moving out of homelessness into transitional and permanent housing.

Overview of Coordinated Access in Multnomah County (209 KB)

Overview of eligibility for adult and family coordinated access (236.17 KB)

How does Coordinated Access work?

Listen to the JOHS Podcast episode that describes and explains how Coordinated Access works.

  • For coordinated access, all people interested in housing must complete the systems standardized assessment. For adults and families, that is the VI-SPDAT assessment. Each system has a central access point, such as a shelter, specific provider, or call line, but every system has many trained assessors at partner agencies to support access to assessments
  • Each System of Care (Adult, Family, Youth, Domestic Violence/Sexual Assault Survivors, Veterans) prioritizes households in a slightly different way based on system sub-population needs and housing portfolio. For supportive housing, people who have experienced longer periods of homelessness (considered 'chronically homeless') and the BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, People of Color) community are main priorities. The assessment tools in each system are one piece of the prioritization and take into account a person’s risk factors, mental and medical health needs, substance use, and other factors
  • Case conferencing within each system is used to talk more specifically about each participant and their housing and service needs.
  • Matching each household to a Permanent Supportive Housing (PSH) project includes conversations around basic eligibility (i.e. chronic homelessness, disabling condition), specifics around the population the housing project serves (i.e. culturally specific services for the Black community, people who need mental health treatment on-site), and preferences the household has (i.e. specific areas of the city for site-based projects, on site services).
  • Providers work to refer participants to services within their agency or to other agencies where needed
  • People who require Permanent Supportive Housing (PSH) due to a long-term disabling condition will have access to case management, behavioral health support, substance use disorder treatment and employment assistance.

How do I connect to a Coordinated Access Housing Specialist to get assessed?

Adults: Please contact the Coordinated Housing Access Team (CHAT) Hotline at 844-765-9384. You can also complete an online pre-screening by filling out this form.
For culturally specific assessments for the BIPOC community, you can call/email the BIPOC CHAT Line at 503-280-2600 x 654 or housingreferrals@ulpdx.org.

Veterans: Call the Veteran Services hotline at 855-425-5544.

Families: Call 211 for assessment

Domestic Violence Survivors: Call to Safety 503-235-5333 or, for Spanish, Project UNICA 503-232-4448 (more info and resources for survivors)

Unaccompanied Youth (Under age 25): Contact Janus Youth through their Access Center 635 SW Alder St or 503-432-3986

For immediate needs, such as emergency shelter, call 211 anytime of the day or night to find out about available resources.