Updated March 23, 2022
These guidelines apply for the general public including schools and childcare settings. Isolation and quarantine guidelines are different for people who live or work in shelters, correctional settings or certain other care settings. Check with your employer to understand guidance for these settings.
What to do if you were exposed* to someone with COVID-19 but do not have symptoms
Quarantine means staying home away from others after an exposure to see if you become sick or infected. Starting March 12, Oregon Health Authority no longer requires quarantine for most people who were around someone with COVID-19.
If you were exposed to someone with COVID-19, you do not need to stay home. However, regardless of vaccination status, you should:
- Watch for symptoms for 10 days.
- Consider wearing a mask around others for 10 days.
- Get tested if you can 5 days after your last exposure.
- If you test positive and/or develop COVID symptoms, stay home and follow isolation guidelines (below).
Think about where you will be and who you will be around. You can continue to protect people at high risk for severe COVID-19 by limiting your in-person contact or wearing a mask around them.
*Exposed means spending at least 15 minutes or more within 6 feet of someone over the course of a day, with or without a mask.
Isolation recommendations if you have symptoms or test positive for COVID-19
- Stay home and away from others (isolation) for at least 5 days.
- After 5 days, you can leave home if you
- have had no fever for at least 24 hours without fever-reducing medicines AND
- have only mild symptoms that are improving
- Continue to carefully mask around others for 5 more days.
- Information about school settings
- Healthcare settings
- Oregon Health Authority: How to Self-Isolate
- If You Test Positive for COVID-19
- OHA’s Isolation and Quarantine Guidance
- See section 5.3 of the OHA Investigative Guidelines for settings with different Isolation and Quarantine guidance.
Download a flyer
Amharic | Arabic | Burmese | ChineseTra | ChineseSim | Chuukese | Farsi | French | Japanese | Karen | Korean Marshallese | Nepali | Palauan| Pohnpeian | Russian | Spanish | Somali | Swahili | Thai | Tigrinya | Tongan | Ukrainian | Vietnamese