In addition to marriage licenses, Multnomah County offers a voluntary program of registration for domestic partners. The county domestic partnership is a means for unmarried, committed couples who share a life and home together to document their relationship.
A County Domestic Partnership does not convey the same rights of a marriage license. However, insurance providers and other programs may recognize the partnership at their own discretion.
Are we eligible for a county domestic partnership?
To register for a domestic partnership in Multnomah County, both parties must:
- Be at least 18 years of age.
- Reside together and share the common necessities of life.
- Not be married or registered as the domestic partner of another person in any jurisdiction.
- Not be first cousins or any nearer of kin.
- Be mentally competent to consent to contract.
- Be each other's sole domestic partners and intend to remain so indefinitely and are responsible for each other's common welfare.
- Understand that the county domestic partnership is a domestic partnership of continuous duration.
- Affirm that neither has filed a Statement of Termination of County Domestic Partnership Registration within the last six months.
- Agree to file a Statement of Termination of County Domestic Partnership Registration, if the partnership is terminated (except by death) or any of the facts set forth above change
Applying for a County Domestic Partnership in Person
The Domestic Partnership office is located at:
501 SE Hawthorne Blvd #175
Portland OR 97214
Office hours are 8:30 am - 4:30 pm, Monday - Friday.
We have walk-in service until 4pm, Monday - Friday.
We have walk-in service available to pick up your partnership. To get your license in person, please complete the following steps:
- The fee for a County Domestic Partnership is $60.
- We accept cash, debit and credit cards (fees apply), money orders, and certified funds (cashiers checks).
- The fee for using debit and credit cards is 2%.
- Parking is very limited at the Multnomah Building. Please review our parking and transportation suggestions.
- No large groups are allowed in room 175. Family and friends must wait outside.
Need extra help?
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I need to be a resident of Multnomah County?
You do not need to be a resident of Multnomah County to get a county domestic partnership.
Do I need witnesses?
Witnesses are not required. The space is provided on the certificate for optional use by the registrants who may wish to have family, friends, or someone from their religious community sign the certificate.
How do I terminate a County Domestic Partnership?
Either partner, or both, can terminate a county domestic partnership.
Request a Statement of Termination of County Domestic Partnership in person or by mailing:
- a copy of photo ID with a contact phone number for one or both parties
- $25 in certified funds (cashier’s check or money order)
To: Multnomah County Marriage Licenses/Domestic Partnership Office
Attn: County Domestic Partnerships
PO Box 2716
Portland, OR 97208-2716
If requesting by mail, the termination paperwork and instructions will be mailed to you. Allow 1-2 weeks for processing time.
NOTE: If only one party signs the termination, that party certifies that the signing party attempted to notify the other party of the termination by mailing a notice of such intent certified mail return receipt requested to the last known address of the other party.
Can a replacement certificate be purchased?
Yes. Apply in person or mail a photocopy of both party's IDs along with a check, cashier's check, or money order for $3.75 (payable to Multnomah County) to:
Multnomah County Marriage Licenses/Domestic Partnership Office
Attn: County Domestic Partnerships - Replacement Certificates
PO Box 2716
Portland OR 97208-2716
If requesting by mail, please include the mailing address to which you would like the replacement certificate sent.