503.988.3326, option 4
8:30 am - 4:30 pm, Monday - Friday. Expect longer wait times between noon and 2 pm and 3:45 and 4:30 pm.

Oregon Domestic Partnership Certificate

In Oregon, same-sex couples can register as domestic partners or purchase a marriage license.

If you are interested in purchasing a marriage license, please visit the marriage page.

Opposite-sex couples are not eligible for the state domestic partnership.

Are we eligible for a state domestic partnership?

You must meet these requirements to register your domestic partnership with the State of Oregon:

  • Are a same-sex couple.
  • At least 18 years of age.
  • One of the parties must be a resident of Oregon.
  • Are not married or registered as the domestic partner of another person in any jurisdiction.
  • Are not first cousins or any nearer of kin.
  • Are mentally competent to consent to contract

How do we register for a state domestic partnership?

  1. Fill out a State Domestic Partnership Form 45-6 and print out on legal size paper. (8.5 x 14) The form must be legible and complete.
  2. Have the form notarized.
  3. Mail:
  • the notarized form
  • photocopies of your ID with contact phone numbers
  • $60 in certified funds (cashier’s check or money order)

To:  Multnomah County Marriage Licenses/Domestic Partnership Office
Attn: State Domestic Partnerships
PO Box 2716
Portland, OR 97208-2716

If you wish to purchase certified copies of your registration, include $7.75 additional for one copy, $4.00 a piece for any additional copies.

Your certificate (and any requested copies) will be mailed back to you. Allow 2 weeks for processing time.

Need extra help?

Live chat available

Phone: 503-988-3326, option 4

Email: dartcs@multco.us

FAQ Section

We already registered for a Multnomah County Domestic Partnership. Can that transfer over to a State Domestic Partnership?

No. Multnomah County’s domestic partnership registry does not provide the same level of rights or responsibilities as the statewide system.

Will Multnomah County’s existing domestic partnership registry continue to operate?

Yes. Some couples may choose to use this option instead, including those in different-sex partnerships.

Does the law apply to transgender individuals?

If your gender identity qualifies you as a member of a same-sex couple, you may register a state domestic partnership.

How do I terminate a state domestic partnership?

Contact your local county courthouse and file the paperwork, as one would do in the case of divorce.