In Oregon, same-sex couples can register as domestic partners or purchase a marriage license.
If you are interested in purchasing a marriage license, please visit the marriage page.
Opposite-sex couples are not eligible for the state domestic partnership.
Are we eligible for a state domestic partnership?
You must meet these requirements to register your domestic partnership with the State of Oregon:
- Are a same-sex couple.
- At least 18 years of age.
- One of the parties must be a resident of Oregon.
- Are not married or registered as the domestic partner of another person in any jurisdiction.
- Are not first cousins or any nearer of kin.
- Are mentally competent to consent to contract
Applying for your State Domestic Partnership
The Domestic Partnership office is located at:
501 SE Hawthorne Blvd #175Portland OR 97214
Our office processes State Domestic Partnership registrations between the hours of 8:30am - 4:00pm, Monday-Friday.
Here are the steps to take:
- Fill out a State Domestic Partnership Form 45-6 and print out on legal size paper. (8.5 x 14) The form must be legible and complete. If you are unable to print the required legal size document, you may obtain a printed version of the form through our office.
- When you come to our office to complete the process, please bring the following:
- Your completed and notarized State Domestic Partnership form 45-6 printed on legal size paper (8.5 x 14).
- Photocopies of your IDs with contact phone numbers
- The fee for a State Domestic Partnership is $60. We accept cash, debit and credit cards (fees apply), money orders, and certified funds (cashiers checks). We do not accept personal checks for the purchase of State Domestic Partnerships. The fee for using debit and credit cards is 2%.
- If you wish to purchase certified copies of your registration, the fees are $7.75 additional for one copy, $4.00 each for any additional copies.
Parking is very limited at the Multnomah Building. Please review our parking and transportation suggestions.
If you have any questions, please contact our office 503-988-3326 option 4 to speak with a customer service representative.
Applying for your State Domestic Partnership By Mail
- Fill out a State Domestic Partnership Form 45-6 (646.28 KB) and print out on legal size paper. (8.5 x 14) The form must be legible and complete. If you are unable to print the required legal size document, you may obtain a printed version of the form through our office.
- Please include in your mailing the following:
- Your completed State Domestic Partnership form 45-6. Your form must be notarized in order to apply by mail.
- photocopies of your ID with contact phone numbers
- The fee for a State Domestic Partnership is $60. We accept money orders, and certified funds (cashiers checks). (We do not accept personal checks for the purchase of State Domestic Partnerships).
- If you wish to purchase certified copies of your registration, include $7.75 additional for one copy, $4.00 a piece for any additional copies.
You may drop your document at the 24 hour drop box available at the Multnomah Building or send by mail to:
Multnomah County Marriage/DP
501 SE Hawthorne Blvd Suite 175
Portland OR 97214
Need extra help?
Phone: 503-988-3326, option 4
Frequently Asked Questions about State Domestic Partnerships
We already registered for a Multnomah County Domestic Partnership. Can that transfer over to a State Domestic Partnership?
No. Multnomah County’s domestic partnership registry does not provide the same level of rights or responsibilities as the statewide system.
Will Multnomah County’s existing domestic partnership registry continue to operate?
Yes. Some couples may choose to use this option instead, including those in different-sex partnerships.
Does the law apply to transgender individuals?
If your gender identity qualifies you as a member of a same-sex couple, you may register a state domestic partnership.
How do I terminate a state domestic partnership?
Contact your local county courthouse and file the paperwork, as one would do in the case of divorce.