The Recorder’s Office records the following:
- Documents affecting real property ownership
- Death Certificates
- Miscellaneous Records in compliance with Oregon recording statutes
This office is prohibited from:
- Giving legal advice
- Helping fill out documents.
- Suggesting what type of documents to use
- Accepting illegible documents
- Recording documents other than those specified by Oregon and federal law.
If you need help with any of these subjects, you should contact an attorney or title company.
The recording process
Documents are recorded in the county where the property is located. When the Recorder’s Office receives a document for recording, we review it for compliance with Oregon recording statutes.
If a document cannot be recorded as presented, we will return it with an explanation.
Four ways to record documents:
- eRecording documents
- Record documents by mail
- Use our 24-hour Document Drop Box
- Recording documents in person
With eRecording, original documents are submitted electronically to the Recording office.
Note: eRecording closes at 4:15 p.m. each day. Documents received in our system after 4:15 will be processed the following business day.
Contact your title company or any of these vendors to get started.
- Corporation Service Company (866) 403-5272
- Simplifile (800) 460-5657
- Erecording Partners Network (888) 325-3365
- Indecomm (732) 404-0081
- Before mailing your document(s), review the fees and requirements for recording.
- A recording cover page (74.85 KB) may be needed to comply with first page requirements.
- Include the required fee. We accept personal checks, money orders, or certified funds (cashier's checks), payable to Multnomah County Recorder.
Mail documents and payment to:
Multnomah County Recorder
PO Box 5007
Portland, OR 97208-5007
Once recorded, the original document will be returned to the sender within 10 days of recording.
If you need express delivery for your documents, please utilize the United States Postal Service. The Recording Office is no longer able to return documents via FedEx, UPS, or other carriers.
A document drop box is available at the Multnomah Building 501 SE Hawthorne Blvd., Portland, OR 97214.
Documents placed in the drop box will be processed the next day.
The drop box accepts:
- Domestic Partnerships
- Marriage Licenses
- Property Tax Payments
The recording office is located at:
501 SE Hawthorne Blvd #175
Portland OR 97214
Office hours are 8:30 am - 4:30 pm, Monday - Friday.
Services are available in person by appointment or walk-in; priority processing for appointments.
- Before scheduling your appointment or visiting our office, review the fees and requirements for recording.
- Parking is very limited at the Multnomah Building. Please review our parking and transportation suggestions.
- If you arrive late for your appointment, you may need to wait until a representative can assist you.
- No large parties allowed in room 175. Friends and family must wait outside.
When you're ready to record, make an appointment by clicking the Appointment button. Appointments are available up to 42 days in advance.
What to bring when you come in to record your document(s):
- Your document that is ready to record
- A recording cover page (74.85 KB) if needed.
- The appropriate recording fees. We accept cash, checks, debit and credit cards (fees apply), money orders, and certified funds (cashier's checks).
- A convenience charge of 2% applies for debit and credit card orders.
- Checks must be payable to Multnomah County Recorder.
- If we are not able to record your document at the time it is presented, you will need to make another appointment.
Use our live chat service.