Happy woman using virtual voice assistantWhat's Allita?

The online application for Oregon Emergency Rental Assistance, also known as Allita, is a statewide tool for accessing rent relief. Note: The following answers are for questions related to Allita, not 211info. 

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I know if my income qualifies? What sources of income include household income?

In the application, you will include income from all sources for all household members 18 years of age and older that are part of the household. This includes:

  • Wages

  • Unemployment compensation

  • Gig economy income

  • Tips

  • Business income

  • Self-employment income

  • Retirement

  • Pensions

  • Social Security benefits

  • Supplemental Social Security income.

Income eligibility will be based on either the household’s total income in 2020, or the monthly income the household is receiving at the time of application. If you decide to use your monthly income at time of application, that monthly income will be multiplied by 12 months to determine whether your household’s income exceeds 80 percent AMI. If your household qualifies based on monthly income, you will need to recertify your income every three months.

Can I apply if I live in public housing, have Section 8 or a Housing Choice Voucher, or other housing assistance?

Yes. You may apply for the amount of rent you are required to pay as long as those costs have not been paid with other assistance and you meet all program eligibility requirements.

What types of rental properties are eligible for assistance?

  • Apartments

  • Single-family homes

  • Rented manufactured homes

  • Rented manufactured home lots (pad rent)

  • Hotel and motel stays as the renter’s primary residence

  • Other informal lease arrangements, subject to review

  • Accessory Dwelling Units (ADUs)

Can I apply for OERAP if I live with roommates?

Yes. Everyone living in the unit is considered part of the household and must apply together, unless they are in a clearly documented arrangement to rent part of a home separately. All adults must provide income documentation.

If I did not contract COVID-19, can I still apply?

If you have experienced financial hardship and/or housing instability, including inability to pay rent and utilities due to the COVID-19 pandemic, you may be eligible.

I am a homeowner. Can I apply for utilities and internet assistance?

No. OERAP funds, including utility and internet assistance, are only available for renters at this time.

If a renter has been evicted and/or moved from the unit, are they eligible for assistance to pay rent arrears?

No. The tenant must still be living in the unit for which they are requesting assistance. This will be re-assessed if further federal guidance is released on this issue.

Are short-term hotel or motel stays eligible?

Households in a hotel or motel can attest that they are paying rent on the room and need assistance. We cannot cover short-term rent or shelter costs covered by emergency funds, such as FEMA assistance.

If I receive assistance, do I have to pay it back?

No. This assistance is not a loan and does not have to be paid back by the tenant if the funds are used as approved and do not duplicate other assistance programs

If I receive assistance will my other benefits like food stamps and housing assistance be impacted?

No. If you receive this assistance it will not impact your eligibility for any federally funded program such as food stamps, Medicaid, Medicare, Social Security, WIC or public housing. 

If your landlord won’t take payment directly, we may offer the funds directly to you. Those funds would not be considered income for federal tax purposes and would not impact your eligibility for federally funded programs. This protection is built into the law that provides this assistance. If you receive a benefit that is not federally funded, please check with the benefit administrator.

What costs will be covered?

You may request rent and/or utility assistance back to March 13, 2020. Prior expenses are not eligible. OERAP will cover up to 12 months of past due rent and three months of forward rent. OERAP will also cover past due utility costs, including:

  • Electricity

  • Gas

  • Home energy services

  • Water/sewer

  • Trash removal.

Costs that will NOT be covered include:

  • Homeowner costs

  • Homeowner utilities

  • Landlord-paid utilities

  • Landlord-paid property taxes

  • Property insurance

  • Phone

  • Internet

  • Renter insurance.

Is there a maximum amount of how much assistance is allowed?

No, there is generally no cap on dollar amount of rent or utility assistance. However, there is a limit on the total number of months of assistance that can be received. The program can provide 12 months of assistance, starting from March 13, 2020 - present, with possibility to pay future rent for three months. Additional limits may be imposed depending on availability of resources.

Can I request more than one month of assistance?

Yes. Approved applicants may be eligible for twelve months of assistance,starting from March 13, 2020 - present, with possibility to pay future rent for 3 months. This also applies for utilities. You are encouraged to request three future months of rent coverage when you apply for past rent if you expect to be living in that unit in the future. You may need to provide additional information to confirm that you are still eligible for assistance and assistance depends on available resources.

If I am homeless, can I receive assistance?

OERAP may be able to pay three months of upcoming rent if a homeless individual enters into a new rental lease. A case manager may be able to assist. Please call 2-1-1 for help.

Can OERAP assistance cover late fees?

Yes. Reasonable late fees can be covered and should be listed on a rent statement or ledger from your landlord.

I have pet fees, parking garage fees and storage fees. Is OERAP able to cover those?

Yes, assistance will cover fees that are directly tied to your housing stability and that are charged by the landlord.

I applied, now what?

Your application and documents will be reviewed, and your landlord and utility providers will be contacted. You will be contacted if additional information is required. If you receive a notification, make sure you log back into the system.

How will I know the status of my application?

You may log into the application portal to see what stage of the process your application is at any time. The system will email you when your application is processed and moves to the next step or if any additional documentation is required.

What should I do if I realize I made a mistake in my application after submission?

If you’ve made a mistake on your application, contact 211.

My rent is due by the first of the month. Can assistance be provided to my landlord that fast? How long will it take to receive approval and payment?

Once an application is determined to be eligible and ready for processing, rental assistance will be provided directly to the landlord or property owner to whom it is due as soon as possible. Due to the anticipated high volume of applications, at this time we cannot guarantee a timeframe for application review and processing.

Applicants who receive notice of an incomplete application must provide all necessary information to move their application forward. Funding will not be reserved for incomplete applications. Please continue to communicate with your landlord while your application is pending.

What will I need to provide for utility assistance?

You will need to provide a copy of your past due utility bill that states the dates covered, your account number, and the contact information of your utility company.

I am a landlord. Why can’t I apply directly? Do I need my tenants to participate?

Per federal rules, tenants are required to provide private information about themselves and the program must protect that data. The tenant must also sign the application to request assistance. Landlords can support tenants by helping gather the materials they need to apply, providing a paper application, and communicating with tenants about their situation. Please review our Landlord Checklist.

What if my form of identification, for example my driver's license, is expired?

Expired forms of identification are acceptable for OERAP.

What if I don't have access to a printer, scanner, or copy machine?

You may submit documents using a smartphone by taking a picture of the document and uploading the picture into the application system. All information on the picture must be clear and easily readable. Some office supply locations may offer complimentary faxing and scanning services for COVID-related relief. 

Inform the staff or manager that you are applying for a state-assisted program and ask if their location offers complimentary faxing and scanning services. You may also request a paper application that includes fillable forms and a postage paid return envelope. If you need assistance completing an application and/or submitting required documentation, please contact 211.

How are payments distributed?

Payments will be made directly to the landlord, property owner or utility company on the tenant’s behalf via direct deposit or check. If the landlord will not accept payment or does not respond, payment may be offered to the renter so the renter can make the rental payment to the landlord.

Is the money distributed on a first come first served basis?

No, funds will be distributed based on a formula that prioritizes based on need. It is not first come first serve. Everyone who applies will have their application reviewed.

My landlord is refusing to cooperate. As a tenant, am I able to apply for OERAP and receive funds?

Yes! We encourage you to submit an application. If your landlord does not agree to receive payments on your behalf, payments can be sent directly to you, the tenant. If this is the case, please follow up directly with 211 for additional information and support.

I applied for my local emergency rental assistance program and already provided this information. Can I still apply for OERAP?

You cannot receive federal Emergency Rental Assistance for the same months between the state and local programs. You can apply for OERAP to cover other months that you still need assistance for, but should not apply for the same months between two different ERA programs.