Update 3/1/2021: This project was completed in 2020. Multnomah County's section of Cornelius Pass Road was transferred to the Oregon Department of Transportation on March 1, 2021.
- Location: NW Cornelius Pass Road, between US 30 and NW Old Cornelius Pass Road in Washington County (see location map).
- Schedule: Complete
- Project Budget: $5.65 million
- Funding Source: Federal, state and county funds.
- Learn more about the project background.
- Learn more about the project details.
This five-mile stretch of NW Cornelius Pass Road has seen a high rate of crashes in recent years, including fatal crashes and truck spills. Increased traffic, high speeds and the rugged terrain all play a part in the high number of crashes.
This project included safety improvements such as:
- curve realignment
- shoulder widening
- signage and sight distance improvements
- vehicle pullouts
- guardrail installation
Construction began in summer 2019 and shut down that fall. Improvements were completed in summer 2020, starting Monday, July 13 and continuing through September 2020. The road reopened to traffic on September 29, 2020.