tamale vendor

Each person or organization that wishes to sell or give out food to the general public during a special event is required by Oregon law to obtain a temporary restaurant license. Every food booth must apply for a separate license for every event where food is served.

This applies to any establishment operating temporarily in connection with any event where food is prepared or served to the public. Examples are:

  • Farmers markets
  • Festivals
  • Concerts
  • Fairs
  • Circuses
  • Carnivals
  • Flea markets

Good to Know

If you do not have a food handler card and you are planning to operate a temporary restaurant, you can take the test online»

Guidelines for nonprofits, community groups and charitable organizations (88.67 KB)
Petting Zoo Guidelines (44.18 KB)
Thinking about opening a lemonade stand? (59.68 KB)

There are a few foods that do not require licensing. See a list and find out more: 

Exempt Foods (Fact Sheet #16) (270.91 KB)
Exempt Foods Agreement Form (225.25 KB)


In order to have your license approved, your temporary restaurant must have the following amenities:

  • An approved kitchen
  • Hand washing station
  • Cold and hot holding facilities
  • Roof and floor
  • Probe thermometer
  • Sanitizing cloths

A license may not be needed for private events, or if you are serving certain types of foods. More about these and other requirements:
Frequently Asked Questions (63.36 KB)
Temporary Restaurant Operator Requirements (60.48 KB)

Get a License

Step 1: Choose a License

Single Event License: Set up at one event, including multi-day events, for a maximum of 30 days.
Example: A community fair or Cinco de Mayo festival.

Intermittent (30-day) license: Set up at multiple events, with different organizers, as long as each event occurs at the same location for a maximum of 30 days.
Example: Set-up for multiple events all occurring at the Expo center

Seasonal (90-day) license: Serve at one event, in the same location, for an entire season
Example: Serving at Portland Saturday market for June, July and August.

Step 2: Submit an Application

Submit a completed application at least 2 weeks before your event. We must receive your fee payment at least 2 business days (by noon) before the event to avoid an additional late fee.

If this is your first time applying for a temporary restaurant license, you are required to apply for a 30-day license. An inspector will review your application and inspect your booth on the first day of the event. Additional inspections may occur if serious public health issues are not corrected.

A completed operational plan review must be submitted with an application for Intermittent and seasonal licenses.

Single Event License Application (151.66 KB)

Intermittent/Seasonal Event License Application (78.21 KB)
Temporary Event Operational Plan Review (179.86 KB)
Application Instructions (71.44 KB)
Temporary Event Coordinator Checklist (74.53 KB)


  • Single event (1-30 days): $160
  • Intermittent (30 days): $160
  • Seasonal (90 days): $160
  • Operational plan review fee (seasonal or intermittent): $105
  • Late fee: $100
  • Out-of-county mobile unit: $25
  • Annual administrative service fee (for benevolent organizations): $50

Fee Schedule (59.74 KB)

Pay Fees Online

We'll email you an invoice and you can pay online using your invoice number. Make a payment»


Temporary event licenses are valid for a specific time frame:

  • Single event license - good for that event only. A new license is required for each event.
  • Intermittent event license - you must apply for a new license after 30 days
  • Seasonal event license - you must apply for a new license after 90 days

Contact Us

Multnomah County Environmental Health
847 NE 19th Ave, Ste 350 *Starting June 21: 919 NE 19th Ave, Suite 170N
Portland, Oregon (Map)
503-988-5844 fax


Hours: Monday to Friday, 8am - 4:30pm