A right of way permit is required for repairs to an existing sidewalk. Sidewalk repair is sometimes required by a city or county agency.

This process is only for repairs to an existing sidewalk. A new sidewalk or major changes to an existing sidewalk may require a Construction Permit.

Permits are processed in the order in which they are received. They usually take about three weeks. The more complete the application, the quicker the permit will be processed.

Sidewalk Permit Checklist

  • Right-of-way permit application
  • Description of work
  • Site plan
  • Site photos (optional)
  • Copy of letter from city or county requiring sidewalk repairs, if any
  • Proof of insurance
  • Traffic control plan
  • Permit fee payment.¬†After permit application has been submitted, an invoice will be emailed to you for payment.

Permit Application

Once you've reviewed the checklist, you can begin your application.

Site Plan

Your site plan should show the location of the work. It should include:

  • the county road
  • the county right of way line
  • the location of the sidewalk panels being installed or removed
  • any adjacent structures or driveways

Insurance Requirements

Before we issue a permit, you must provide proof of Commercial General Liability Insurance.

For an example of proof of insurance, please see our Sample Certificate of Liability. This is a document that would be issued by your insurer.

Traffic Control Requirements

If your work plan is expected to interrupt or affect traffic, you will need to provide a traffic control plan that conforms to MUTCD standards.

If your plan includes a road or lane closure, please include the anticipated work schedule, including hours.

Permit Fees

The permit fee for sidewalk and/or curb construction or reconstruction is $200. If your plan calls for lane closures, there is an additional fee of $300. Depending on the nature of the work, other fees may apply.

Fees will be calculated when your permit application is submitted, and you may find and pay your invoice through our permit portal.