Multnomah County Vital Records registers all births and deaths that occur in Multnomah County. Certified copies of these records are available for 6 months from the date of the event. You may obtain these records via mail or in person. The turnaround time is 24 hours.
We can only issue certificates within 6 months of a birth or death. After 6 months, you must request birth and death certificates from the Oregon Health Authority Center for Health Statistics.
We can provide you with an exact copy of the original birth certificate created by your hospital. Our certified birth certificates contain not only basic information, but also the time of birth, hospital name and both parents’ dates of birth. If you want a certified birth certificate, you must order one within the first 6 months after the birth of your child.
Birth records can be released to immediate family members (parents, grandparents, brothers/sisters), legal representative or government agencies.
Requests must include:
- Full name on the record
- Date of birth
- Hospital and county of birth
- Mother’s full maiden name
- Return name and address
- Phone number
- Relationship to the name on the record
- A copy of the requestor's current picture ID. No picture ID? Please call us.
We can provide a certified death certificate 6 months from the date of death. Death records can be released to family members, legal representatives or to persons or agencies with a personal or property right. If you are not a family member or have a personal or property right, you will need a notarized permission note from a family member.
Requests for death records must include:
- Name on the record
- Date and place of event
- Relationship to the name on the record, or a copy of your legal reason for needing a certificate
- A copy of the requestor’s current picture ID
- One of the following: birth certificate of the family member ordering the certificate, marriage certificate of the decedent's partner, or power of attorney. Questions about these documents? Please call us.
Order a Certificate
Send a completed order form with your payment to Multnomah County Vital Records.
Birth or death certificates, first copy: $25
Each additional copy: $25
We accept check or money order payable to Multnomah County Vital Records.
Funeral Homes Only
As of March 15, 2023, Vital Records has transitioned to a new system for funeral home online order submissions.
If you have any questions, please contact us at 503-988-3745 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hours: Monday to Friday, 8am - 4:30pm