We are taking the lead in making the Burnside Bridge earthquake-ready. The project is in the planning, or environmental review, phase. The project will ensure we have a bridge that can withstand a major earthquake and remain open to all forms of travel. Construction is expected to begin in 2025. Test drilling is happening near the bridge through November 2021.
The steel on the two fixed and two moveable river spans of the Morrison Bridge will be repainted starting in November 2021, with project completion in summer 2023. The existing paint is peeling and must be replaced to avoid corrosion of the structural steel members.
In 2023, we will replace the deck of the Broadway Bridge's lift spans, as well as repair the brakes that help control their speed.
Other Agency Projects
- SW Naito Parkway Improvements (City of Portland project. Construction Fall 2020 - December 2021). Installation of a new traffic signal from SW Naito Parkway northbound to Hawthorne Bridge eastbound closed the ramp from March 22, 2021 until September. The ramp is open and the new signal is in operation, while work on SW Naito Parkway below the bridge continues.
- Burnside Bridge Maintenance Project (2018-2020)
- Broadway Bridge Rall Wheel Project (2017-2018)
- Broadway Bridge Control System Upgrade (2021)
- Broadway Bridge Painting Project (2015-2016)
- Hawthorne Bridge Beam Strengthening (2019-2020)
- Hawthorne Bridge Westside Ramp Project (2019)
- Hawthorne Bridge Concrete Crossbeam Repairs
- Morrison Bridge lift span deck replacement
- Sellwood Bridge Replacement Project
- Willamette River Bridge Capital Improvement Plan (2015)