Help for when violence occurs: Community Support Center to open and answers to tough questions

June 12, 2014

Anyone wishing to talk to someone about the Reynolds High shooting, or simply be with other people, can come to the Community Support Center this weekend.

Multnomah County is opening the drop-in Community Support Center Saturday, June 14, and Sunday, June 15, at Reynolds Middle School. The center will be open both days from noon to 5 p.m. Reynolds Middle School is at 1200 N.E. 201st Ave. in Fairview.

Multnomah County also asked professional counselors working with the community for their best advice on when violence occurs.

Lea este artículo de noticias en Español.

Why am I feeling this way?

It is normal for people to feel shock, numbing, confusion and even anger after an event such as the shooting at Reynolds High School. Loss of appetite, stomach ache or sleeplessness are all typical responses.

I wasn’t even involved, why do I feel anything?

People have memories that may be happy or sad. Sometimes a difficult event can trigger memories that cause old feelings to occur. An incident like this can affect anyone in our community.

When should I worry?

If feelings of sadness, anger, confusion or hopelessness last for more than a few weeks, or if they get worse, or the person has trouble managing daily tasks, seek professional help.

If someone talks about suicide or hurting someone else, take this very seriously and assist them in getting help. Call 503-988-4888 for help, or if you’re not sure what to do.

Why do people want to talk about this terrible event?

People, including students, may need to talk about a traumatic event in order to feel better. They may need to say where they were, what happened, and say it over and over to understand their feelings or the event. Students may be texting each other or communicating on social media. This is normal for their age group and a way for them to share their feelings and thoughts. Some people don’t feel comfortable talking. It is important to respect both kinds of reactions.

What can I do?

Anyone can be a help and support by being patient and listening. It’s natural for us to try to solve another person’s problems by offering advice, but remember that being a good listener is the single, most important thing you can do to help someone in a crisis. You can also help them connect to professional help.

Where can I find professional help?

Multnomah County 24/7 Crisis Line:  503.988.4888 Toll-free: 800.716.9769 TTY: 503.988.5866

24/7 crisis counseling by phone, with translation services for non-English speakers

Online help: