Today's hot, dry weather can put elders and people with disabilities at risk of dehydration and heat-related illness. Please pay close attention to your friends and neighbors this week.
Seniors and those with disabilities should:
- Drink more water. Don’t wait until you are thirsty.
- Buddy up! Check on a friend and have them do the same for you.
- Schedule tasks to avoid midday heat.
- Wear loose, lightweight, light-colored clothing.
- If you have to use a fan, don't set it up to blow directly on you. Instead, use it to create cross ventilation in your home.
- Spray or sponge yourself with cool water.
- Try not to use your stove and oven.
Cools spaces for seniors: Air-conditioned spaces for older adults and people with disabilities
Hollywood District Senior Center Services
1820 N.E. 40th Ave., Portland, 97212
8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Friendly House District Senior Center Services
1737 N.W. 26th Ave., Portland, 97210
9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Neighborhood House District Senior Center Services
7688 S.W. Capitol Hwy., Portland, 97219
9:00 a.m.–3:30 p.m.
Elm Court, Meals on Wheels
1032 S.W. Main St., Portland, 97205
8:30 a.m. –3:30 p.m.;
Sat. and Sun.
10:0 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
Impact NW District Senior Center Services
4610 S.E. Belmont St., Portland, 97215
7:30 a.m.– 5:00 p.m.
IRCO District Senior Center Services
10615 S.E. Cherry Blossom Drive, Portland, 97236
8:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m.
Multnomah County East Building, Meals on Wheels
600 N.E. 8th St, Rm 10
8:00 a.m. –5:00 p.m.
Questions? Call Multnomah County Aging & Disability Services at 503-988-3646 or TTY at 503-988-3683 or online at /ads.
Download the flyer.