Birth records are located at different organizations depending on the time of birth. There can be some overlap across the organizations.
Less than 6 months since the date of birth:
- Find these records at the Multnomah County Health Department.
More than 6 months since the date of birth:
- Find these records at the Oregon Center for Health Statistics.
- Records extend back to 1903.
Births in the City of Portland from 1864 to 1917
- Find these at the Oregon State Archives.
- This resource provides more detailed information.
Birth records dated prior to 1903 may be found in church records, local newspaper announcements, and other non-governmental sources. Contact the Genealogical Forum of Oregon for research assistance.
847 NE 19th Ave Suite 350
Portland, OR 97232
800 Summer Street
Salem, OR 97310
Portland, OR 97202