Using Risk Assessment Tools
At the foundation of evidence-based practice, which guides our work in Multnomah County, is assessing actuarial criminal risk. The Department of Community Justice uses a variety of risk assessment tools to develop case plans and help match adults and youth to the appropriate level of service and intervention.
The Research & Planning Unit (RAP) routinely uses risk assessment data to describe our populations, evaluate the availability and effectiveness of services, and predict public safety outcomes. RAP advises leadership on the adoption and implementation of new and current risk assessment tools. We also help validate the adoption of risk assessment tools that were initially developed in other jurisdictions for adaptation in Multnomah County.
- Risk Assessment FAQ - 2018 - document
- Risk Assessment Checklist - A Question Guide for Criminal Justice Professionals - 2018 - document
Juvenile Risk Assessment Tools
- About the RAI tool - web page
- JCP Data Report - 2013-15 - document
- About the JCP tool - web page
Adult Risk Assessment Tools
- LSCMI Over Time - 2018 - presentation
- About the LS/CMI tool - web page
- About the WRNA tool - web page
Modified Virginia Pretrial Risk Assessment Instrument
- Recog Validation Report - 2017 - document
- About the Modified Virginia Pretrial Risk Assessment tool - web page