We are delighted that you're interested in joining our team, and we are here to help. Most importantly, read the job announcement thoroughly for special instructions. The job announcement will guide you through the steps to apply for a job. Here are more tips to help you succeed:
Tell us about your experience
- Explain, in detail, what you actually did. If we have to guess about your experience and talents, we might guess wrong.
- Provide specific examples of the work you have done and the outcomes.
- Highlight your key accomplishments.
Completing the application
- List more than your title or function of “Developer” or “Analyst”.
- Enter dates (month and year) so we can determine your years of experience.
- Tailor the description of your work experience and skills to the job qualifications.
- Include your military and volunteer experience in the Work History section.
- Take the supplemental questions very seriously. They could determine whether you will advance in the process.
- Double check that you have included all the required content in your application.
- If you choose to include a resume, we encourage one to two pages.
Preparing for an interview
- Think about what you have to offer. Get ready to tell us.
- Re-read the job announcement and review what you submitted in your application.
- Read about our department and Multnomah County on our website.
- Talk with someone who works at Multnomah County to learn about the work we do, even if it’s in another department.
Use the STAR method to talk about your experiences
- What was the Situation?
- What was the Task assigned to you?
- What Action did you take?
- What was the Result of the action you took?