Help for landlords
The Landlord Guarantee Program (LGP) is a program administered by Home Forward, the housing authority that serves the Portland and Multnomah County area, and can help landlords who have tenants with back-owed rent get reimbursed for eligible non-payment costs incurred during the “safe harbor” period.
Landlords may be eligible for this program if they have a tenant with back-owed rent and/or non-payment charges and did not issue a termination notice, or initiate or continue an action for possession, in accordance with the tenant protections found in the “safe harbor” Senate Bill 278.
Landlords can learn more about their eligibility for the Landlord Guarantee Program and apply by visiting www.homeforward.org/LGP.
Have you helped your tenants prepare?
When renters who seek rent relief are approved for assistance, payments are made directly to the landlord. Landlords can help make the renters’ application process easier by:
- Giving tenants your valid and active email address, phone number, the business name (if applicable) and address. Be aware that emails can end up in your junk/spam folder.
- Providing your tenants a copy of their current lease. If possible, email your tenant a scan or digital copy of these documents. Your tenant will have to upload their lease to the online application portal or provide verification of the Landlord/Tenant Relationship and Rent Owed.
- Providing a ledger or rent due statement. It’s particularly helpful if it is broken out by month.
- Sharing a copy of the eligibility determination letter with the tenant dated January 1, 2020 or later, if your tenant has income-qualified for other affordable housing or low-income assistance
Note: If a tenant needs assistance with applying, please encourage them to call 2-1-1 or visit www.211info.org. Landlords must complete the Landlord Confirmation Request for every tenant who applies for assistance. However, your payment and contact information will be auto-saved
Is your documentation ready?
When your tenant has completed the application, you will receive an email with a request to upload:
- Your W-9
- Your direct deposit or ACH payment information and a copy of a canceled check
If you are a management company with multiple properties, develop and distribute guidance on what address and contact information property managers should share with your tenants to use.
Other resources are available: Move-In Multnomah
Move-In Multnomah is a new program, launched in April 2022 and led by the Joint Office of Homeless Services, that offers incentives and dedicated support to landlords willing to make housing units available to people coming out of homelessness.