Here, there, and back again
This location served as the Albina Library from 1912 until 1960. In the ensuing decades, it relocated twice and experienced fluctuating usage. For a period of time, this building housed the Title Wave Used Bookstore. In 2020, after outgrowing its location at NE 15th and NE Fremont, the Albina Library returned home.
The Spanish renaissance building is one of the 1,689 public "Carnegie libraries" built in the United States in the late 19th/early 20th century. The name derives from Andrew Carnegie. It was his philanthropic foundation that funded the construction of more than 2,500 libraries worldwide.
This image shows the original floor plan of Albina Library. The design of Carnegie libraries revolutionized the concept of open stacks. This layout provided library patrons with the opportunity to freely browse the shelves of books. Before this, patrons had to rely on help from library staff.
Former County Coroner's Office at 301 NE Knott St.
Get from here to there by:
- Looking across the street