You can register to vote even if you do not have a permanent residence address or are experiencing housing instability or homelessness.

  • You have the right to vote if you are a citizen of the United States, live in Oregon, are at least 18 years old, and have registered to vote.
  • You have the right to vote if you are experiencing housing instability or homelessness.
  • When registering to vote, your residence address can be any physical location within the county that describes where you spend time (shelter, park, or cross street). Your mailing address is the address where you want your ballot mailed (PO BOX, location where you receive mail, or the Elections Office if needed).
  • To be eligible to vote for Federal offices, there are a number of items that are acceptable identification for registering to vote including but not limited to an Oregon DMV number or social security number. You are not required to have an Oregon driver’s license or ID number.
  • The Oregon Secretary of State's website also has this information:
    • Voting When Homeless - Homeless U.S. citizens have the right to vote. The voter must provide a residence address on the voter registration form. This residence address may be any definable location within the county that describes their physical location. This could be a shelter, park, motor home, or other identifiable location. The mailing address of a person who is homeless or who resides where mail service is unavailable can be the office of the county clerk. The voter can pick up a ballot at the county elections office.
  • The Voter Registration Deadline is always 21 days before Election Day. However, if you are already registered to vote you can update your residence and/or mailing address any time up until 8 pm on Election Day. If you move or change your mailing address between the Voter Registration Deadline and Election Day please contact our office.
  • In Oregon you have the right to vote if you have been convicted of a felony but have been released from custody, even if you are on probation or parole.
  • You have the right to file a complaint if you think your voting rights have been denied.

If you have questions or would like more information about registering to vote and accommodation
services available:

Visit the Multnomah County Elections website at or call 503.988.VOTE (8683).

Visit the Oregon Secretary of State’s website at or call 1.866.673.VOTE.

Information for Voters Experiencing Housing Instability or Homelessness (97.71 KB)