motel sign

You must have a license to operate a hotel, motel or a bed and breakfast that has more than two rooms.

All licensed facilities must pass an annual health inspection. This applies to any establishment, excluding hostels, which have rooms, apartments or sleeping facilities that are rented on a daily or weekly basis to travelers or transients for a paid fee.

To be considered a hostel, the establishment must operate under the sponsorship of a nonprofit organization that holds a valid exemption from federal income taxes.

A license is also required for RV parks, organizational camp or outdoor mass gatherings.

Good to Know

If there is a food service operation accompanying the accommodation, a separate restaurant license is also required.


Get a License

Submit a completed tourist facility License Application (51.17 KB)along with the license fee payment. A hotel or motel license takes 10 business days. Licenses for bed and breakfasts are granted after a plan review and pre-opening inspection.


Based on the number of units:

  • 1-25: $370
  • 26-50: $380
  • 51-75: $460
  • 76-100: $490
  • Over 100: $510 + $1 each additional unit
  • Bed and Breakfast: $230
  • RV parks organizational camp, outdoor mass gatherings: Contact us

Fee Schedule (59.74 KB)

Pay Fees Online

We'll email you an invoice and you can pay online using your invoice number. Make a payment»


Licenses are good for one calendar year. Renew your license by paying the license fee by January 1 of each year.

Contact Us

Multnomah County Environmental Health
847 NE 19th Ave, Ste 350
Portland, Oregon (Map)
503-988-5844 fax


Hours: Monday to Friday, 8am - 4:30pm