Commissioner, District 1
Occupation: Multnomah County Commissioner; Emergency room doctor
Occupational Background: Lawyer; Medical Director, Oregon Foundation for Reproductive Health
Educational Background: UC Berkeley; Hastings College of Law; UCSF Medical School
Prior Governmental Experience: Prescription Drug Monitoring Program Advisory Commission; Portland Police Community Oversight Advisory Board, Mental Health Crisis Subcommittee Co-Chair
Sharon is dedicated to improving access to mental health care, fighting homelessness, and strengthening our community:
- Launched the first comprehensive analysis of our mental health care system.
- Led the county’s effort to hold drug manufacturers accountable for the opioid epidemic.
- Successfully advocated for a mental health resource center in downtown Portland.
- Advocated for stronger diesel emissions and clean air standards.
- Helped lead efforts to sue the Trump administration over cuts to Planned Parenthood.
- Serves on the executive committee for A Home for Everyone to fight homelessness.
- Supported increasing capacity of housing with access to mental health and substance use disorder treatment.
Sharon will continue to focus on:
- Increasing services to combat the mental health crisis.
- Ensuring access to housing for the most vulnerable.
- Improving the intersection of public health, safety, and human services to ensure our limited dollars help the most people.
“Sharon’s work is fundamentally transforming our Multnomah County’s mental health system. We need her.” - Multnomah County Chair Deborah Kafoury
“Sharon understands the challenges of chronic homelessness on both the policy level and on the front line.” - Rachel Solotaroff, M.D. homeless physician/advocate
“As a County Commissioner, ER doctor and mom, Sharon knows how to set priorities and make tough decisions.” - Senator Ron Wyden
“I have never seen anyone more qualified to be our County Commissioner.” - Representative Earl Blumenauer
AFSCME Local 88
NARAL Pro-choice Oregon Oregon Nurses Association
Oregon League of Conservation Voters Portland Association of Teachers PAC SEIU Local 49
U.S. Senator Ron Wyden
U.S. Senator Jeff Merkley
U.S. Representative Earl Blumenauer
Sharon was named Oregon Medical Association Doctor- Citizen of the Year (2015) and lives in SW Portland with her husband and two children.
(This information furnished by Friends of Sharon Meieran)
The above information has not been verified for accuracy by Multnomah County.