Each year in January and February, all schools and child care facilities must report the immunization status of their students to the Health Department.
Immunizations are required by state law for children and students in attendance at public and private schools, preschools, childcare facilities and Head Start programs in Oregon.
Children must have all required immunizations, or a medical or non-medical exemption to stay enrolled.
If a child is behind on shots, we will send the family a letter so they have a chance to catch up before the immunization deadline.
- There must be one Certificate of Immunization Status Form or ALERT record on file for each child.
- Report children with incomplete or no immunization records to the Health Department by January 17, 2024
First day of school or at a certified child care facility - All children must show proof of one dose of all required immunizations. Exception: Students who transfer from another school in the United States have 30 days to have their immunization records transferred to the new school.
January 17, 2024 - Deadline for schools and child care facilities to send us their first report.
February 7, 2024 - Health Department mails exclusion orders to children's families who are not up-to-date on their immunizations.
February 21, 2024 - Immunization deadline. All children who are not up-to-date or complete on their immunizations will be excluded from their school or child care facility.
March 4, 2024 - Deadline for schools and child care facilities to send us their final report.
Immunization Primary Review Summary:
Step 1: Collect Information for all Your Students
Forms you will need: Certificate of Immunization Status (CIS) Form
Step 2: Assess Student Immunization Records
Forms you will need:
Step 3: Fill out the Primary Review Summary
Step 4: Send the First Report
By January 17, 2024
Email or fax to Multnomah County Health Department:
- Section A
- Section B & D
- Photocopies of the CIS forms or ALERT records for students listed in Section B
Step 5: Fill Out Section D and Cancel Exclusion Orders
Between February 7 - February 21, 2024
- Fill out Section D of the Immunization Primary Review Summary with the dates records are returned to you.
- Keep your copy of exclusion orders for children at your site, and be prepared to enforce them. If a student’s record is not up-to-date by the beginning of school on February 21, 2024, they are not able to attend until you have an updated record.
- If updated records are returned AFTER the beginning of school on February 21, 2024, the student is “excluded.” Mark a “Y” in the column in Section D of the Primary Review Summary. Keep a copy for your records.
Step 6: Complete and Send the Primary Review Summary
By March 4, 2024
- Section E - preschool, day care or Head Start
- Section F - kindergarten
- Section G - 7th grade
- Section H - kindergarten through 12th grade
Email or fax to these sections Multnomah County Health Department (keep a copy for your records):
- Section D
- Sections E
- Sections F, G, H
- Trainings and webinars
- Oregon Health Authority Immunization Reporting Packet (English and Spanish)
- Immunization Requirements Flyer (PDF)
- Requitos de vacunas (PDF)
- Certificate of Immunization Status (CIS) Form
- Non-Medical Exemption
Multnomah County Health Department
Community Immunization Program
619 NW 6th Avenue, 2nd Floor
Portland, OR 97209