Collection License Requirements

Our Licensed Haulers List consists of companies who are currently licensed to provide collection services in unincorporated Multnomah County.

Anyone collecting solid waste or recyclable materials within the limits of unincorporated Multnomah County and outside city service boundaries must obtain an annual collection license from the Multnomah County Department of Community Services. This includes any person offering on-route, on-call, and/or drop-box collection service.

Licenses expire on December 31 of each year. Annual license applications or renewal applications must be submitted to the County at least 15 business days before the expiration of an existing license or prior to the initiation of a new license.

To apply for a new or renewal license, please submit a complete Collection License Application and $150.00 application fee to:

Attn: Solid Waste and Recycling
1600 SE 190th Ave
Portland, OR 97233

The application will be reviewed and, if accepted, you will receive an invoice for the remaining annual license fee.

Learn more about applying through the portal.

The annual license fee is $1 per month for each service address within unincorporated Multnomah County. The minimum annual license fee is $150. The original application fee will be deducted from the annual license fee, when applicable. 

A licensed hauler may provide single family residential, multifamily residential, commercial and/or drop box service within any part of unincorporated Multnomah County outside city service boundaries; a hauler is not required to offer all service types in order to obtain a license. The hauler will set their own service fees.

Regulations and Service Standards

Licensed haulers are required to meet minimum service standards for residential and commercial customers. Please see the Multnomah County Solid Waste and Recycling Administrative Rules and Multnomah County Code Chapter 27 - Community Services for a detailed description of these requirements.


For information about filing a complaint regarding hauler collection services or business recycling requirements, please visit our Complaints page.